Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents The papers of Edith .Mitchell Dabbs (1906-1991) span the years 1791 to 1997 but the bulk of the papers date 1920 to 1980. Included in the collection are correspondence, newspaper clippings, magazine articles, and notes. Units of materials reflect Dabbs' interest in the history of Penn School on St. Helena Island, and her desire to see it publicized.The primary focus of the collection is material compiled about Penn School and St. Helena Island by Dabbs. A native South Carolinian,...
Dates: 1791 - 1991; Majority of material found within 1920 - 1980
Scope and Contents Correspondence, 1960-2005; newspaper clippings, 1967-1993, historical sketches, research notes, and genealogical files are various places and families of South Carolina.This collection includes files re historic sites and buildings in Walterboro, Jacksonboro, and elsewhere in Colleton County, S.C.; early backcountry settlement of S.C. in "Barnwell, Upper Beaufort, and Colleton Districts"; research notes are the S.C. Tricentennial; and brochures, pamphlets, maps, and ephemera. ...
Scope and Contents John Blount Miller (1782-1851) was the patriarch of these families and is the principal correspondent in the collection. Miller served as Commissioner in Equity for Sumter District, S.C., over a forty-year period and was active in legal affairs. He was also a planter whose estate, probated in 1851, included thirty-three slaves and substantial lands.Letters addressed to J.B. Miler and other family members, chiefly from former residents of Sumter District who migrated to other...
- Plantations -- South Carolina. 2
- African Americans -- Education -- Southern States. 1
- Colleton County (S.C.) -- Genealogy. 1
- Colleton County (S.C.) -- History. 1
- Education -- South Carolina. 1
- Plantation life -- Southern States -- History -- 19th century. 1
- Registers of births, etc. -- Southern States. 1
- Saint Helena Island (S.C.). 1
- South Carolina -- History -- 1775-1865. 1
- South Carolina -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Southern States -- History -- 1775-1865. 1
- Women in church work. 1 ∧ less