4 films donated to MIRC from the YMCA in downtown Columbia. The collection caontains 4 films that show the YMCA downtown building, inside and outside, possibly during renovations during the 1950s, as well as other YMCA buildings and a football game.
- 1946 - 1967
This collection is partially processed.
For more information contact curator Lydia Pappas at PAPPASL@mailbox.sc.edu.
Copyright and Use
Content may be protected by copyright.
The YMCA of Columbia was one of the first fifty Ys in the United States. Since 1854, the emphasis has been on creating a community where individuals can come together in a spirit of common fellowship. In the mid-to-late 1800s, the Columbia YMCA was the support system for thousands of Columbia residents, providing affordable housing, Bible studies, a strong Christian mission, and recreational activities. Throughout the 1900s, the Y continued to adapt through both peacetime and wartime to provide emotional support, a sense of community, and health and well-being for all. From serving Columbia residents during the great depression, to encouraging healthy lifestyles during the latter half of the century, the Columbia Y’s impact continued unabated, despite a rapidly-changing social environment.
Moving Image Research Collections (MIRC). 707 Catawba St. Columbia, SC 29208.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Bruce Williams on behalf of the Columbia YMCA in 2013.
Part of the Moving Image Research Collections (MIRC) Repository
707 Catawba Street
Columbia SC 29208
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script