May Roper Coker papers
Correspondence, telegrams, and other papers relating to May Coker; her selection as Mother of the Year in 1958 at both the state and national levels; her concern for the education of women; travels; interest in gardening; involvement in humanitarian causes; and her observations on European, U.S., and South Carolina politics.
Correspondence, ca. 1915-1943, from Mrs. Coker's parents, Daniel C. and Lou McKenzie Roper, and husband, David Robert Coker, re state and national politics and economic conditions, particularly re David Roper's campaign support for Woodrow Wilson, and his appointment as Secretary of Commerce for Franklin D. Roosevelt's administration in 1932.
Also contains letters of commendation, including one from Eleanor Roosevelt, to Mrs. Coker for her speech at the national Democratic convention in 1932 seconding Franklin Roosevelt's presidential nomination.
Correspondence with May Roper's children includes school letters written from St. Catherine's School (Richmond, Va.), and from the Colleges of Davidson, Vassar, Mt. Holyoke, and Randolph- Macon Women's College.
Other correspondents include Hodding Carter, William Edward Dodd, Douglas Southall and Inez Freeman, Frank Porter Graham, Wil Lou Gray, R. Beverly Hubert, Cordell and Frances Hull, Archer and Anna Hyatt Huntington, Mr. and Mrs. Henry P. Kendall, Mabel Montgomery, Clarence Poe, Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt, Archibald Rutledge, E.T.H. Shaffer, Henry Nelson Snyder, Enid Starkie, George C. Taylor, Bell Tilghman, Mr. and Mrs. Henry A. Wallace, Sarah Watson, and A.L.M. Wiggins.
- 1908 - 1975
- Coker, May Roper, 1890-1976 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All rights reside with creator. For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact The South Caroliniana Library.
2.5 Linear Feet (2,520 items 2 cartons)
Resident of Hartsville, S.C.; second wife of David Robert Coker (1870-1938-); mother of Martha, Mary, and Carolyn; step-mother of Miriam, Katherine, Hannah, Eleanor, Robert, and Samuel from David Robert Coker's first marriage to Jessie Ruth Richardson Coker (d. 1913).
Other Finding Aids
Collection inventory available in repository.
Overview of collection: University South Caroliniana Society Program, 1981, pp. 3-5.
Also includes accession number 14030.
- Carter, Hodding (William Hodding), 1907-1972
- Daniels, Jonathan (Jonathan Worth), 1902-1981
- Dodd, William E. (William Edward), 1869-1940
- Graham, Frank Porter, 1886-1972
- Gray, Wil Lou, 1883-1984
- Hull, Cordell, 1871-1955
- MacRae, Hugh, 1865-1951
- Roosevelt, Eleanor, 1884-1962
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945
- Roper, Daniel C. (Daniel Calhoun), 1867-1943
- Roper, Lou McKenzie, 1870-1944
- Rutledge, Archibald (Archibald Hamilton), 1883-1973
- Snyder, Henry Nelson, 1865-1949
- South Carolina -- Politics and government.
- Starkie, Enid, 1898-1970
- United States -- Politics and government -- 20th century.
- United States. Department of Commerce -- Officials and employees -- Selection and appointment.
- Wiggins, A. L. M. (Archibald Lee Manning), 1891-1980
- Women -- Education.
Part of the South Caroliniana Library Repository
910 Sumter St.
University of South Carolina
Columbia SC 29208 USA
(803) 777-5747 (Fax)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script