Columbia Railway Electric Company Photographs
The Columbia Electric Railway Company photographs mainly contain images pertaining to railroad construction, pipe and gas main work, power line and light post work, the railway company substation, and construction projects near the Columbia Mill and Hydroelectric Plant as well as the canal. The photographs span 1911-1928 with the majority taken from 1911 to 1912. The collection contains a number of individual, loose photographs as well as an album containing roughly 200 photographs. A few of the loose photographs appear to have a form of Pitman shorthand written on the back side. Areas pictured include Gervais S t., Assembly St., Blanding St., Sumter St., Hampton St., and Richland St., and areas near the Columbia Mill and canal. Some of the photographs also partially depict the State House, and other historical buildings and sites including Sidney Park Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, the Lafayette House, and the Narciso Gonzales Monument.
Conditions Governing Access
Open to research
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish or use materials beyond personal research must be obtained from the Director of the South Caroliniana Library, University of South Carolina, 910 Sumter Street, Columbia, SC 29208.
237 Photographic Prints (Photographs loose and in a photograph album.)
This collection is held by the South Carolinina Library, 910 Sumter St. Columbia, SC 29208. All collections are currently housed off-site and require 24-hours advance notice to retrieve. Please call (803) 777-3132 or email email@example.com to request materials.
Part of the South Caroliniana Library Repository
910 Sumter St.
University of South Carolina
Columbia SC 29208 USA
(803) 777-5747 (Fax)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script