Ruth Crary Miller papers
Collection of correspondence, photographs, and scrapbooks of three generations of family residing in north Columbia, S.C., and elsewhere; topics include interests and social activities of the Miller family, historic buildings in the area. Correspondence includes letters, 1934-1939, written to Ruth's mother, Etta Chunn Crary, from sister-in-law Lily Chunn who lived in Myatts Park in the Lambeth borough of London, England. Her letter of 16 Nov. 1939 notes declining social conditions in England at that time and includes her opinion of Adolph Hitler. Collection includes scrapbook, 1947-1963, re activities of the Eau Claire Music Club and scrapbook, ca. 1976-1981, re architectural history of various historic buildings in the Hyatt Park and Eau Claire neighborhoods and elsewhere around Columbia, S.C. Includes photographs of the old Hyatt Park school and of Ruth Emmala Crary Miller, daughter of RCM.
- Miller, Ruth Crary (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All rights reside with creator. For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact The South Caroliniana Library.
2.5 Linear Feet (2 cartons)
Miller graduated from Columbia College in 1918 and taught school at Hyatt Park for five years. She was a charter member of Eau Claire Music Club and Eau Claire Garden Club and a member of the Robert Gibbes Chapter of the Colonial Dames XVII Century.
- Columbia (S.C.) -- History.
- Columbia (S.C.) -- Social life and customs.
- Eau Claire Music Club (Columbia, S.C.)
- Historic buildings -- United States.
- Historic sites -- South Carolina.
- Hyatt Park High School (Columbia, S.C.)
- London (England) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.
- Miller family
- National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century. South Carolina Society
Part of the South Caroliniana Library Repository
910 Sumter St.
University of South Carolina
Columbia SC 29208 USA
(803) 777-5747 (Fax)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script