Speeches and Media
The Speeches and Media series consists primarily of speech texts, mostly from Culbertson’s radio broadcasts during his 1951 race for mayor. Although he spoke dozens of times on behalf of the NAACP, it appears most of these speeches were not drafted ahead of time. He wrote in 1957, “I find a written speech loses some of its spark and sparkle that one can give an extemporaneous speech. I have heretofore almost been speaking off the cuff.” The series also includes his letters to the editor on various topics, and public service announcements and advertisements run by Culbertson.
- circa 1886 - 2012
Library use only
From the Collection: 31 Linear Feet
- From the Collection: Culbertson, John Bolt, 1908-1983 (Person)
- From the Collection: Humphrey, Hubert H. (Hubert Horatio), 1911-1978 (Correspondent, Person)
- From the Collection: Simkins, Modjeska Monteith, 1899-1992 (Correspondent, Person)
- From the Collection: Waring, Julius Waties, 1880-1968 (Correspondent, Person)
- From the Collection: Jackson, Jesse, 1941- (Correspondent, Person)
- From the Collection: McCray, John Henry, 1910-1987 (Correspondent, Person)
Part of the South Carolina Political Collections Repository
Ernest F. Hollings Special Collections Library
1322 Greene St.
University of South Carolina
Columbia SC 29208 USA