Doug Mauldin Papers
The papers consist entirely of photographic prints of public figures taken by Mauldin during his years as a political reporter. Most of the identifying information was provided by Mr. Mauldin on the reverse of the photos.
Vertical File Materials contain information gathered by SCPC relating to Mauldin and may duplicate information already present in the collection.
- Mauldin, Doug (James Douglas) (Photographer, Person)
Library Use only
0.25 Linear Feet
This small collection consists of 75 photographs of public figures, including Speaker of the House Sol Blatt, state senator Edgar Brown, Governor Robert McNair, state senator James P. "Spot" Mozingo, and Governor John West. The photos were taken by Doug Mauldin, a South Carolina journalist and photographer who worked for The State, the Greenville News, and the Associated Press, frequently reporting on state government.
James Douglas Mauldin was a native of Oconee County, South Carolina. He attended school in Seneca and was a graduate of Furman University. He served in the United States Army, stationed in the South Pacific, before returning to South Carolina and beginning his career as a journalist and photographer. He worked for the Greenville News, The State, the Rock Hill Herald, and the Associated Press, frequently reporting on government affairs in South Carolina.
Mauldin passed away in 2007. After his death, Russ McKinney, formerly press secretary to Governor Dick Riley, told The State, “Doug was just a real unique individual. He was a fixture at the State House for a number of years...He was a stickler for accuracy and clarity when it came to his reporting.”
Donated by Doug Mauldin.
Copyright of the Doug Mauldin Papers has been transferred to the University of South Carolina.
Processed in 2004.
- Bates, Lester L., Sr. (Lester Lee), 1904-1988
- Brown, Edgar A. (Edgar Allan), 1888-1975
- Byrnes, James F. (James Francis), 1882-1972
- Byrnes, Maude
- Dennis, Rembert C. (Rembert Coney)
- Dent, Harry S. (Harry Shuler), 1930-2007
- Dorn, William Jennings Bryan, 1916-2005
- Fendley, Furman
- Grisso, Bud
- Hollings, Ernest F. (Ernest Frederick), 1922-2019
- Hope, Bob, 1903-2003
- Long, John D.
- McNair, Robert E. (Robert Evander), 1923-2007
- Morris, Earle E., Jr.
- Nixon, Pat, 1912-1993
- Orange, Sylvia
- Shealy, Lois T.
- Sheheen, Robert
- Thurmond, Strom, 1902-2003
- Varn, Sidney
- West, John Carl, 1922-2004
- Westmoreland, William C. (William Childs), 1914-2005
- Westmoreland, “Kitsy” (Katherine Stevens Van Deusen)
Part of the South Carolina Political Collections Repository
Ernest F. Hollings Special Collections Library
1322 Greene St.
University of South Carolina
Columbia SC 29208 USA
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description