Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Allard Henry Gasque Papers
Allard H. Gasque represented the 6th District in the U.S. House of Representatives, 1923-1938. This collection is comprised chiefly of constituent correspondence which reveals a great deal about life in South Carolina during the Depression, particularly in regard to the politics of the time. Gasque also served as Superintendent of Education, Florence County, 1902-1923, and on the Democratic State Executive Committee, 1912-1920.
Butler Black Hare Papers
Butler Hare served South Carolina's 2nd District, 1925-1933, and 3rd District, 1939-1947, in the U.S. House of Representatives. As chairman of the House Insular Affairs Committee, 1931-1933, he authored the Philippine Independence Act, which began the process of granting independence to the Philippines, a United States possession since 1898.
Robert Witherspoon Hemphill Papers
Robert W. Hemphill served South Carolina's 5th District in the U.S. House of Representatives, 1957-1964. President Lyndon B. Johnson appointed him to a federal district court judgeship in April 1964, and he served in that capacity until his death in 1983. Previous public service included a stint in the South Carolina House of Representatives (Chester County), 1947-1948, and as Solicitor for the 6th Judicial Circuit, 1951-1956.
- Depressions -- 1929 -- United States. 1
- Farmers -- United States. 1
- Floods -- United States. 1
- Intracoastal waterways. 1
- Judges -- United States -- Biography. 1
- Patronage, Political -- United States. 1
- Philippines -- Politics and government -- 1935-1946. 1
- Political campaigns -- United States. 1
- Poll tax -- Law and legislation. 1
- Presbyterians -- United States. 1
- South Carolina -- Politics and government -- 1951- 1
- States' rights (American politics). 1 + ∧ less
- Cook, Weston Carrier 1
- Gasque, Allard Henry, 1873-1938 1
- Hare, Butler B. (Butler Black), 1875-1967 1
- Hemphill, Robert W. (Robert Witherspoon), 1915-1983 1
- Purity Presbyterian Church (Chester, S.C.) 1