Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Overview Hollings served in WWII, represented Charleston in the S.C. House, 1949-1954, and served as Lt. Governor and Governor, 1955-1963, and U.S. Senator, 1966-2005. In the House, he supported anti-lynching legislation, a sales tax for education, an increase in teacher salaries, and unemployment compensation reform. He went after industrial interests as Lt. Governor and built on this success as Governor. He worked to improve the state's educational system at all levels, develop industry, and...
Abstract Olin D. Johnston served South Carolina as a U. S. Senator from 1945 until his death in 1965. At that time he was ninth in seniority in the Senate, and renowned as a champion of the common man. Prior to his election to the Senate, Johnston served two terms as Governor, 1935-1939 and 1943-1945, and in the state House of Representatives, 1923-1924 (Anderson County), 1927-1930 (Spartanburg County). Through his long career in public service, Johnston was the friend and advocate of the farmer and...
Dates: 1914 - 2004; Majority of material found within 1914 - 1965
Item — Scrapbook: 1
Dates: 1947 - 1950
Abstract Donald Russell began his career with the Spartanburg law firm of Nichols, Wyche and Byrnes, where he became a close friend and protege of James F. Byrnes. Thanks in part to this connection, Russell held several important positions with the Roosevelt and Truman administrations, including Assistant Secretary of State for Administration. In 1952, Russell was named president of the University of South Carolina. As president, Russell guided the school from regional significance towards its...
Dates: 1929 - 1998
- Politicians -- United States -- Biography. 2
- South Carolina -- Politics and government -- 1865-1950. 2
- Civil service -- United States. 1
- College presidents -- United States -- Biography. 1
- Governors -- South Carolina. 1
- Legislators -- United States -- Correspondence. 1
- Postal service -- Law and legislation 1
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1984. 1 ∧ less
- Dorn, William Jennings Bryan, 1916-2005 1
- Hall, Wilton E. (Wilton Earle), 1901-1980 1
- Hollings, Ernest F. (Ernest Frederick), 1922-2019 1
- Hollings, Rita L. (Rita Liddy "Peatsy") 1
- Johnston, Gladys Atkinson (Gladys Elizabeth Atkinson), 1901-1976 1