Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Abstract James Robert Mann represented Greenville in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1949 to 1953. That year, Gov. James Byrnes appointed Mann solicitor of the 13th Judicial Circuit to succeed Robert Ashmore, a position he held until 1963 when he returned to the full-time practice of law. Mann returned to public service in 1969 with his election to the U.S. House of Representatives, once again succeeding Ashmore. Mann represented the 4th District until 1979 when he returned home to...
Dates: 1948 - 2010
Abstract C. Kenneth Powell was active in the establishment of the modern Republican Party in South Carolina, beginning with his work on Floyd Spence's landmark 1962 campaign for Congress as a Republican. He ran several times for elective office and became chair of the Richland County Republican Party in 1970, organizing the Party's first primary in the county. Powell served the S.C. Republican Party as its chair at a critical time in its development, 1971 to 1974. The election of 1974 was a turning...
Dates: 1964 - 1982
Abstract Johnnie M. Walters began his legal career with the Chief Counsel's Office of the Internal Revenue Service in Washington, D.C., in 1949. In 1953, he moved to the private sector and eventually returned to practice law in his native South Carolina. In 1969, he was appointed Assistant Attorney General in the Tax Division of the United States Department of Justice. He was named Commissioner of Internal Revenue in 1971 and served until 1973. He is best known for his efforts to reorganize the IRS...
Dates: 1918 - 2003
- Elections -- Southern states. 1
- Judges -- United States. 1
- Legislative bodies -- United States. 1
- South Carolina -- Politics and government -- 1865-1950. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 1
- Mann, James R. (James Robert), 1920-2010 1
- Powell, C. Kenneth 1
- South Carolina. General Assembly. House of Representatives 1
- United States. Congress. House. 1
- Walters, Johnnie M. (Johnnie McKeiver), 1919-2014 1