Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract Cameron Bruce Littlejohn represented Spartanburg County in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1937 to 1943 and 1947 to 1949, the latter three years as Speaker. He resigned in 1949 when he won a judicial appointment. For the next thirty-five years, Littlejohn served on South Carolina's Seventh Circuit Court and the South Carolina Supreme Court, attaining the post of Chief Justice in his last two years on the Court.
Dates: 1861 and 1906-2007
Abstract C. Kenneth Powell was active in the establishment of the modern Republican Party in South Carolina, beginning with his work on Floyd Spence's landmark 1962 campaign for Congress as a Republican. He ran several times for elective office and became chair of the Richland County Republican Party in 1970, organizing the Party's first primary in the county. Powell served the S.C. Republican Party as its chair at a critical time in its development, 1971 to 1974. The election of 1974 was a turning...
Dates: 1964 - 1982
Abstract Charles Cecil Wyche served as the U.S. District Judge for the Western District of South Carolina for almost thirty years. He began his public career by representing Spartanburg County in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1913 to 1914. He served in the U.S. Army during World War I as a First Lieutenant and later a Major. From 1919 to 1933, he served as city and then county attorney for Spartanburg. In 1924, Wyche was specially appointed associate justice to the South Carolina...
Dates: 1903 - 1969
Abstract Robert W. Hemphill served South Carolina's 5th District in the U.S. House of Representatives, 1957-1964. President Lyndon B. Johnson appointed him to a federal district court judgeship in April 1964, and he served in that capacity until his death in 1983. Previous public service included a stint in the South Carolina House of Representatives (Chester County), 1947-1948, and as Solicitor for the 6th Judicial Circuit, 1951-1956.
Dates: 1926 - 1984
- South Carolina -- Politics and government -- 1865-1950. 3
- Judges -- United States -- Biography. 2
- Judges -- United States. 2
- Courthouses -- South Carolina. 1
- Criminal justice, Administration of -- United States. 1
- Criminal procedure -- United States. 1
- District courts -- United States. 1
- Elections -- Southern states. 1
- Lawyers -- United States. 1
- Legislative bodies -- United States. 1
- Legislators -- United States -- Biography. 1
- Presbyterians -- United States. 1
- United States -- Race relations. 1
- War crime trials. 1
- Watergate Affair, 1972-1974. 1 ∧ less
- South Carolina. General Assembly. House of Representatives. 2
- Cook, Weston Carrier 1
- Hemphill, Robert W. (Robert Witherspoon) 1
- Littlejohn family 1
- Littlejohn, C. Bruce 1