Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Overview Hollings served in WWII, represented Charleston in the S.C. House, 1949-1954, and served as Lt. Governor and Governor, 1955-1963, and U.S. Senator, 1966-2005. In the House, he supported anti-lynching legislation, a sales tax for education, an increase in teacher salaries, and unemployment compensation reform. He went after industrial interests as Lt. Governor and built on this success as Governor. He worked to improve the state's educational system at all levels, develop industry, and balance...
Abstract Eugene Noel "Nick" Zeigler, Jr., personified the concept of the Renaissance man. He melded careers and interests as an attorney, public servant, naval officer, educator, playwright, gardener, scholar, spouse, and parent. More importantly, he achieved recognition and success in each of these areas. Zeigler had a distinguished legal career; during the sixties and seventies, his name was frequently mentioned whenever a vacancy occurred in South Carolina's Federal judiciary. His public service...
Dates: 1921 - 2012
Abstract James Prioleau "Dick" Richards represented South Carolina's 5th District in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1933 until his retirement following the 1956 session. He served on the Foreign Affairs committee throughout his Congressional career and became expert in the subject. Richards served as Special Assistant to President Eisenhower for the Middle East from January 1957 to January 1958. In this capacity he visited Ethiopia, Iraq, Israel, Lebanon, Morocco, Tripoli and Turkey, among other...
Dates: 1932 - 1974
- South Carolina -- Politics and government -- 1951- 2
- China -- Foreign relations -- United States. 1
- Economic assistance, Arab countries. 1
- Europe -- Economic conditions -- 1945- 1
- Europe -- Foreign relations -- United States. 1
- Lawyers -- United States. 1
- Middle East -- Foreign relations -- Europe. 1
- Mutual security program, 1951- 1
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1984. 1
- Reconstruction (1939-1951). 1
- World politics -- 20th century. 1 ∧ less
- Hollings, Ernest F. 1
- Hollings, Rita L. (Rita Liddy "Peatsy") 1
- McEachin, Peter H. 1
- Richards, James P. (James Prioleau), 1894-1979 1
- Townsend, Leah 1