Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Abstract John Bolt Culbertson, lawyer and activist, was a "liberal lion" of South Carolina's Upstate for most of the twentieth century, establishing a law practice in which he represented unions, the working class, disabled veterans, African-Americans, and others in need of a voice—many of whom could not afford to pay him. His outspokenness and his political leanings, atypical for South Carolina at that time, resulted in financial setbacks, insults, and even crosses burned on his lawn, but Culbertson...
Dates: circa 1886 - 2012
Collection — Multiple Containers
Abstract A Columbia civil rights activist, Simkins served as the South Carolina State Secretary for the NAACP, 1941-1957. She also had leadership roles in the renovation of Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital and the Richland County Citizens Committee. Simkins was a founder, in 1921, of the Victory Savings Bank of Columbia. Now called South Carolina Community Bank, it survives as one of the oldest African-American owned banks in the country. As a voice of African-American leadership in the South, Simkins...
Dates: 1909 - 1992
Abstract Charles H. Wickenberg, Jr. enjoyed a distinguished forty-year career as a journalist, chiefly with The State newspaper in Columbia, S.C. He served in the Marine Corps in both World War II and the Korean War, and subsequently as Gov. George Bell Timmerman's Executive Secretary from 1955 to 1958. In 1970, Wickenberg and 59 other journalists accompanied H. Ross Perot to Vietnam in his effort to negotiate for the release of American POWs. The collection also contains papers concerning the...
Dates: c. 1835-2004
- African Americans -- South Carolina. 2
- Civil rights movements -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century. 2
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- History -- 20th century. 1
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Southern States. 1
- Civil rights -- United States. 1
- Journalists -- United States. 1
- Labor unions -- United States -- History -- 20th century. 1
- Lawyers -- United States. 1
- Legislators -- United States. 1
- Prisoners -- Legal status, laws, etc -- United States. 1
- Textile factories. 1 ∧ less
- Campbell, John T. 1
- Culbertson, John Bolt, 1908-1983 1
- Dennis, Rembert C. (Rembert Coney) 1
- Humphrey, Hubert H. (Hubert Horatio), 1911-1978 1
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941- 1