Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Flynn T. Harrell Collection on the Separation of Church and State
Abstract A native of Columbia, South Carolina and a lifetime advocate for religious liberty, Flynn Thomas Harrell (1934-2021) was raised as a Baptist, and he learned early on of the Baptist belief in the separation of church and state. Harrell became enamored with the idea and dedicated his life to the study and promotion of religious liberty. While his formal education was in accounting and his official work in finance and government, Harrell maintained a robust and fulfilling connection to the...
Ann Yarborough "Tunky" Riley Papers
Ann Osteen Yarborough Riley served as South Carolina's First Lady from 1979 until 1987. She was known not only for her gracious hospitality and warmth, but for her work toward improving South Carolina's educational system and her active involvement in the Governor's Mansion renovations.
Dates: c. 1880s-2008, bulk 1978-1988
Edward Patterson “Ted” Riley Papers
Abstract Ted Riley served as Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Western District of South Carolina, 1933-1952, with an interlude of service in the Navy during World War II. In 1953, he became the Greenville County Attorney. Always active in Democratic Party politics, Riley chaired the Greenville County Democratic Party Executive Committee, 1954-1955, and the South Carolina Democratic Party for two terms, 1960-1964. Riley played an important role in John F. Kennedy's 1960 Presidential election. Riley...
Richard W. Riley Papers
Scope and Contents The collection series include Public, Personal, Speeches and Media, Audiovisual, and Clippings. Public papers include those from Riley’s service as a member of the South Carolina House of Representatives (1963 to 1967) and the South Carolina Senate (1967 to 1977), as Governor (1979 to 1987), and as Secretary of Education (1993 to 2001). Riley’s House papers include documentation of Greenville County issues, as well as a quantity of material on the...
Dates: c. 1898 - 2018
- Lawyers -- United States. 2
- Basic needs -- South Carolina. 1
- Church and social problems. 1
- Confederate Memorial Day. 1
- Education -- South Carolina. 1
- Educational law and legislation -- South Carolina. 1
- Elections -- Southern states. 1
- Governors -- South Carolina -- Election. 1
- Greenville County (S.C.) 1
- Holidays -- United States. 1
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1960. 1
- Public welfare -- United States -- States. 1
- Quality of life -- United States. 1
- South Carolina Governor’s Mansion (Columbia, S.C.) 1
- Washington (D.C.) -- Politics and government. 1 + ∧ less
- Democratic Party (U.S.) 2
- Riley, Ann Yarborough 2
- Riley, Edward Patterson, 1900-1994 2
- Americans United for Separation of Church and State 1
- Clinton, Bill, 1946- 1