Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Scope and Contents Transcriptions of interviews used in researching Vernon’s 1993 book: African Americans at Mars Bluff, South Carolina Transcriptions of oral history interviews collected while researching Vernon's 1993 book: African Americans at Mars Bluff, South Carolina; topics discussed include African-American biography, family history, cultivation of rice, farming in general, construction, and other aspects of rural life.Family names represented include:...
Scope and Content Notes The papers of James Lide Coker (JLC) (1837-1918) consist of approximately ten and one half linear feet of materials that serve to document his involvement in New South businesses in Hartsville and the Pee Dee region. Contextually, the papers span a sixty-year time frame, ranging from 1858 to 1918. The collection is divided into three series: (1) Plantation Records, (2) Correspondence, and (3) Personal Papers.Series I: Plantation RecordsSeries I...
Scope and Contents A collection of six hundred forty-five manuscripts provides information on this Darlington County family which has made outstanding contributions to the social and economic history of S. C. The entire collection is family correspondence. Hannah Ann Frances Lide and Caleb Coker, Jr., married 14 Oct. 1830, established a home at Society Hill where Caleb operated a general store. Prior to her marriage Hannah attended school in Charleston but only a few letters fall in this period. Letters of Caleb...
Summary Chiefly business and personal correspondence relating to Coker and the management of Coker's Pedigreed Seed Company and other family businesses including Coker's Experimental Farms, J. L. Coker & Company, Sonoco Products Company, and Hartsville Oil Mill.Coker was actively involved in the National Cotton Council; through this organization he worked tirelessly to find a way to eradicate the destructive boll weevil. His knowledge and expertise also led him to assume important...
- Names: Coker family X
- African Americans -- South Carolina. 2
- African American farmers. 1
- Baptist women 1
- Baptists -- South Carolina -- Darlington County. 1
- Boll weevil. 1
- Cotton -- Diseases and pests. 1
- Cotton growing -- Southern States. 1
- Cotton trade -- United States. 1
- Farmers -- United States. 1
- Hartsville (S.C.) -- Commerce. 1
- Nullification (States' rights). 1
- Plantations -- South Carolina. 1
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- South Carolina. 1
- Rice -- United States. 1
- Seeds -- Development. 1
- South Carolina -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- South Carolina -- Politics and government -- 1775-1865. 1 ∧ less