Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Scope and Contents The distinguished literary biographer and critic Frederick R. Karl was born in Brooklyn, NY, in 1927. After service in the US Navy, 1944-46, he attended Columbia University and Stanford. He taught at City College of CUNY from 1957-1982, and since 1982 has been Professor of English at New York University. Mr. Karl's literary archive covers his biographies of four major writers - Joseph Conrad (1979), William Faulkner (1989), Franz Kafka (1991), and George Eliot (1995) - with a very...
Dates: 1961 - 1996
Scope and Contents Malcolm Argyle Franklin was born on December 3, 1923 in Shanghai, China to Cornell and Estelle Franklin. His father, Cornell, was in the import business. In 1929, Estelle Franklin returned to her hometown of Oxford, Mississippi, after divorcing Cornell and married William Faulkner. Her children from her previous marriage, Malcolm and Victoria, grew up as a member of the Faulkner family at Rowan Oak. Malcolm’s memories of those years are the subject of the book he published Bitterweeds: Life...
Dates: 1847 - 1978
- Names: Faulkner, William, 1897-1962 X
- American fiction -- 20th century -- History and criticism. 1
- Arts, Modern -- 19th century. 1
- Arts, Modern -- 20th century. 1
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Family relationships. 1
- Modernism (Art). 1
- Conrad, Joseph, 1857-1924 1
- Eliot, George, 1819-1880 1
- Franklin, Malcolm 1
- Kafka, Franz, 1883-1924 1
- Karl, Frederick R. (Frederick Robert), 1927-2004 1