Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Scope and Contents Collection of photographs and letters from political and other national figures throughout the United States mainly during the Truman Administration: includes cabinet members, senators, congressmen, state governors, Supreme Court justices, and other miscellaneous leaders. Prominent national figures include Dean Acheson, George C. Marshall, Margaret Chase Smith, Hubert H. Humphrey, John Foster Dulles, Olin D. Johnston, Lyndon B. Johnson, Omar N. Bradley, J. Edgar Hoover, Dwight D. Eisenhower,...
Abstract John Bolt Culbertson, lawyer and activist, was a "liberal lion" of South Carolina's Upstate for most of the twentieth century, establishing a law practice in which he represented unions, the working class, disabled veterans, African-Americans, and others in need of a voice—many of whom could not afford to pay him. His outspokenness and his political leanings, atypical for South Carolina at that time, resulted in financial setbacks, insults, and even crosses burned on his lawn, but Culbertson...
Found in: South Carolina Political Collections
Scope and Content Note The papers of John Marion Lofton, Jr. (1919-1990), span the years 1909 through 1990 although the bulk of the collection falls between 1940 and 1980. Included in the papers are correspondence, writings, press releases, bulletins, newsclippings, and newsletters. Units of material in the collection reveal Lofton's involvement in the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), Unitarian Church, political events during the tumultuous years of racial integration and Vietnam War protests, and such related...
Found in: South Caroliniana Library
- Names: Humphrey, Hubert H. (Hubert Horatio), 1911-1978 X
- South Caroliniana Library 1
- Irvin Department of Rare Books and Special Collections 1
- South Carolina Political Collections 1
- Civil rights -- United States. 2
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Southern States. 1
- African Americans -- South Carolina. 1
- Alabama -- Description and travel. 1
- Civil rights movements -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century. 1
- Freedom of the press. 1
- Journalism -- United States. 1
- Labor unions -- United States -- History -- 20th century. 1
- Lawyers -- United States. 1
- Prisoners -- Legal status, laws, etc -- United States. 1
- South Carolina -- Politics and government -- 1951- 1
- Textile factories. 1
- Unitarians. 1
- Vietnam Moratorium, 1969. 1 ∧ less