Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Scope and Contents Nineteen feet of material, chiefly 1979 to 1992, provides valuable information about Patterson’s public service in South Carolina and Washington, D.C. Public papers primarily document Patterson’s service in the General Assembly and Congress. Personal papers, which make up the bulk of the collection, include material on her campaigns for office, family, civic involvement, and education.Among the Public papers, Topical files demonstrate the range of issues Patterson was involved in...
Dates: circa 1930-2016
Scope and Contents Collection of photographs and letters from political and other national figures throughout the United States mainly during the Truman Administration: includes cabinet members, senators, congressmen, state governors, Supreme Court justices, and other miscellaneous leaders. Prominent national figures include Dean Acheson, George C. Marshall, Margaret Chase Smith, Hubert H. Humphrey, John Foster Dulles, Olin D. Johnston, Lyndon B. Johnson, Omar N. Bradley, J. Edgar Hoover, Dwight D. Eisenhower,...
Dates: 1948 - 1981; Majority of material found within 1949 - 1950
Collection — Box: 1
Found in: South Caroliniana Library
Abstract John Bolt Culbertson, lawyer and activist, was a "liberal lion" of South Carolina's Upstate for most of the twentieth century, establishing a law practice in which he represented unions, the working class, disabled veterans, African-Americans, and others in need of a voice—many of whom could not afford to pay him. His outspokenness and his political leanings, atypical for South Carolina at that time, resulted in financial setbacks, insults, and even crosses burned on his lawn, but Culbertson...
Dates: circa 1886 - 2012
Abstract Olin D. Johnston served South Carolina as a U. S. Senator from 1945 until his death in 1965. At that time he was ninth in seniority in the Senate, and renowned as a champion of the common man. Prior to his election to the Senate, Johnston served two terms as Governor, 1935-1939 and 1943-1945, and in the state House of Representatives, 1923-1924 (Anderson County), 1927-1930 (Spartanburg County). Through his long career in public service, Johnston was the friend and advocate of the farmer and...
Dates: 1914 - 2004; Majority of material found within 1914 - 1965
- Names: Johnston, Olin D. (Olin Dewitt), 1896-1965 X
- South Carolina Political Collections 3
- South Caroliniana Library 1
- Irvin Department of Rare Books and Special Collections 1
- Lawyers -- United States. 2
- South Carolina -- Politics and government -- 1951- 2
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Southern States. 1
- African Americans -- South Carolina. 1
- Civil rights -- United States. 1
- Civil rights movements -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century. 1
- Civil service -- United States. 1
- Columbia (S.C.) -- Social life and customs. 1
- Governors -- South Carolina. 1
- Labor unions -- United States -- History -- 20th century. 1
- Law -- History. 1
- Legislators -- United States. 1
- Postal service -- Law and legislation 1
- Prisoners -- Legal status, laws, etc -- United States. 1
- Textile factories. 1 ∧ less