Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Abstract George Bell Timmerman, Jr. served as governor of South Carolina from 1955 to 1959, leading the state during a period of growing racial strife. He served as lieutenant governor under both Strom Thurmond and Jimmy Byrnes, 1947-1955. In 1948, Timmerman was president of the state Democratic Convention and a delegate to the Democratic National Convention. On leaving office in 1959, he returned to his Lexington law practice and, in 1967, Timmerman was elected Judge for the 11th Circuit, holding that...
Collection Description The Lester Lee Bates, Sr. Collection consists of four linear feet of documents, arranged into five series: Mayoral, Personal, Clippings, Audiovisual, and Vertical File Materials. The collection as a whole chronicles the almost legendary life and the eventful mayorship of Lester Lee Bates, Sr.The Mayoral series includes portions of Bates’ correspondence and schedules, in addition to topical files about other cities and mayoral issues like law enforcement, city/county government...
Collection Description The Ashmore collection consists of 3.75 ft. of material, chiefly correspondence, speeches, and clippings of United States Congressman Robert T. Ashmore (1904-1989). Ashmore represented South Carolina’s 4th District in the United States House of Representatives between 1953 and 1969. Also included are records of his campaigns for office, 1935-1970, and work with the South Carolina Appalachian Council of Governments, 1970-1985.General correspondence includes both personal and public...
- Names: Timmerman, George Bell, Jr. X
- Baptists -- South Carolina -- Greenville. 1
- Civil rights. 1
- Columbia (S.C.) -- History. 1
- Columbia (S.C.) -- Race relations. 1
- Elections -- Southern states. 1
- Elections -- United States -- History. 1
- Judge advocates. 1
- Legislators -- United States. 1
- Political campaigns -- United States. 1
- Politicians -- United States. 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. 1 ∧ less
- Byrnes, James F. (James Francis), 1882-1972 2
- Ashmore, Robert T. (Robert Thomas) 1
- Ashmore, Willie Vance Linthicum 1
- Bates, Lester L., Jr. 1
- Bates, Lester L., Sr. 1